Recently my sister in law posted a question on Facebook – “Has anyone found drinking lemon water every morning makes a difference ? I am thinking of taking up the habit again after a hiatus” to which I quickly responded “YES every morning ( hubby makes it ) great for balancing PH levels in your body and helps aide digestion” BUT I then thought about it a little more and wondered what other benefits lemon water daily has in our bodies and are there any issues to consider ??
So I took that curious question and found out more :
- Balancing your PH levels – something I learnt along time ago. Drink lemon water everyday and you’ll reduce your body’s overall acidity. Lemon is one of the most alkaline foods around. Yes, lemon has citric acid but it does not create acidity in the body once metabolized. Did you know that illness and disease can NOT harbor in an Alkaline body. You can also test your PH levels by picking up a test from the pharmacy. The one we use you simply place on your tongue and wait for the colour to change ( sort of like a swimming pool kit 😉 ) It will tell you if you body is Alkaline or Acidic.
- Aides Digestion – Lemon juice helps flush out unwanted materials. It encourages the liver to produce bile which is an acid that required for digestion. Efficient digestion reduces heartburn and constipation.
- For weight loss – Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which helps fight hunger cravings. It also has been shown that people who maintain a more alkaline diet lose weight faster.
- Boost your immune system – Lemons are high in vitamin C, which is great for fighting colds. They’re high in potassium, which stimulates brain and nerve function. Potassium also helps control blood pressure.
- Clears skin – The vitamin C component helps decrease wrinkles and blemishes. Lemon water purges toxins from the blood which helps keep skin clear as well. It can actually be applied directly to scars to help reduce their appearance.
- Is a Diuretic – Lemons increase the rate of urination in the body, which helps purify it. Toxins are, therefore, released at a faster rate which helps keep your urinary tract healthy.
SO the downside :
I personally have not experienced any downside to drinking lemon water on a daily basis however I have had a girlfriend warn me before that her dentist absolutely does not like it due to decay to the enamel on teeth !! Maybe drink with a straw ? Not sure but I am leaning toward the benefits of lemon water daily myself !!
Try it out for yourself – In the morning we take a 1/4 to 1/2 a Lemon and squeeze into warm water. Drink while warm first thing in the morning.